Narragansett School System
TITLE: Math Coach/Interventionist – Grades 9-12 (NHS)
The math coach will be directly under
the supervision of the Principal and in consultation with the Director of Curriculum,
Instruction and Professional Development, and the Assistant Principal. He/she
will assist the administration in the development, implementation, supervision,
and evaluation of mathematics programs in the high school.
- Mathematics Certification
- Degree in mathematics preferred
- Experience teaching high school students
- Must possess a thorough understanding of how
students learn mathematics
- Demonstrated ability in using assessment data to
- Experience working with students who have gaps in
- Ability to work collaboratively with mathematics and
special education teachers regarding student performance
- Demonstrated experience in monitoring students’
progress and making appropriate adjustments to instruction when necessary
- Knowledgeable about differentiating mathematics
- Ability to work with school and central
- Knowledgeable about Microsoft software applications
(Word, Excel), as well as database program(s) for student management
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide teachers with professional development;
in-class consultation, assistance, feedback, and modeling through a
structured and well-scheduled program.
- Work with administrators to document change over
time. The instructional coach is a
part of a school wide initiative to promote change and alignment of
mathematics instruction across grade levels.
- Work with teachers to use assessments, student work,
and other data to analyze current practice and identify areas for
improving and alignment curriculum and instruction across and within grade
- Give presentations, facilitate meetings, and work in
classrooms with teachers and students.
- Demonstrate evidence of their own continuing
professional development and be willing to participate in specified coach
training in order to continue to be able to disseminate research-based
- Maintain accurate records and prepare reports for
the school and district for submission to the state.
- Conduct program monitoring and evaluation.
- Work with principal to schedule coaching for the
- Provide after-school instruction to students
experiencing difficulty with mathematics.
- Work hours will
be flexible to accommodate student needs.