Try Google Site Search

clinicNarragansett High School Clinic

Clinic Information for Students and Parents
Lynn Magnusen RN

Health Screenings
Dental: All ninth grade students will be given a dental screening by our school dentist.  Only those students with a signed form from their dentist will be excused.  This screening takes place the end of October.
Vision:  All ninth grade students and students who are new to our school will be given a vision screening and will be referred to their private MD or optician if they do not pass.  Vision screening will take place in January and February.
 Medication in School
 All medications needed by a student during the school day must be dispensed by the school nurse in the clinic. Students are not allowed to carry and self administer any medication unless they have permission from their physician and proper school forms have been completed.  These medication administration forms are available in the health office and online  and are to be completed by a physician and signed by parent/guardian. See the "Rx Medication Authorization Form". Any prescription medication must be in the original pharmacy bottle with the student’s name and instructions for dispensing on the label. There is an area on the form to designate self-administration. This applies to epi-pens, asthma inhalers, and insulin pens. Students may not carry controlled substances under any circumstances. Examples of controlled substances frequently needed by students include Ritalin, Adderall, Concerta, Focalin (for ADD/ADHD) or Codeine, Vicodin, and hydrocodone (for pain or cough).  These medications, if needed during the school day, MUST be kept in a locked cabinet in the clinic and dispensed by a nurse.  Over the counter medications, Tylenol,  Advil, Tums, and cough syrup, have been approved by the school physician and are available in the health office. Only the School Nurse may administer these medications and Parental Consent must be obtained annually before any non-prescription medication can be given to your child.  See the "School Health Office Medical Form". The Health office does provide cough drops in limited quantities.
Inhaler or Epi-pen
If your son/daughter requires an epi-pen or an inhaler in school, please be sure to send it in to the clinic along with the proper medication forms from the doctor.  It is very important that these items are in the clinic and a health plan is in place in the event of an emergency.

clinic2Sending Your Child to School
Parents are often concerned about their children missing school and may send a child back to school prematurely after an illness. This exposes other children to disease and for their own child to relapse or contact another illness that may "be going around" due to their already stressed immune system.
Please refer to the following guidelines when considering whether to keep a child at home and when to return a child to school.


  • A child should be feeling well and be "fever free" for 24 hours before returning to school.
  • A child with strep throat must be on an antibiotic for 24 hours and feeling well before returning to school.
  • A child with possible conjunctivitis (pink eye) must be seen by a doctor and may only return to school with a doctor's note.
  • A child with chicken pox may only return to school when all lesions have crusted over.
  • Keep a child home if he/she:
    -has had a fever* in the past 24 hours
    -has a fever* of 100 degrees or higher
    -is nauseous and/or vomiting and/or has diarrhea
    -has vomited during the night
    -has been exposed to a contagious disease and is exhibiting signs/symptoms of the disease
  • Children who have been at home because of illness, should not be brought to school for parties, athletics, and/or special events.

*A fever refers to a temperature of 100 degrees or more without the use of Tylenol or Advil or other fever reducing medications.
Also, please remember to call the office to excuse your child from school if he/she is to be absent and indicate if it is due to Flu like symptoms

Students Going Home due to Illness
When a student becomes ill during the school day, they should report to the clinic or the main office if the nurse is not available.  Students should call a parent from the clinic and not from the classroom or a cell phone. Students must have a signed form from the nurse or the Assistant Principal to be excused from school due to illness. This helps avoid confusion over where the student is, and ensures that the person picking up the student is authorized to do so.

Immunization Requirements
Parents are responsible for keeping their own records of all immunizations and physicals.  New students from out of state must provide a record of a physical and immunizations.  Students may not begin school unless immunization. To enter or transfer into NHS students must have immunizations as outlined below:

Diphtheria, Tetanus and Pertussis
4 doses at any age, but...

3 doses meet the requirement for ages 7-17 years if at least one was on or after the 2nd birthday. Receipt of the dose up to (and including) 4 days before the birthday will satisfy the school entry immunization.
If last dose was given before the 2nd birthday, one more (Td) dose is required.      PLUS:                                                                   
Td or Tdap Booster
1 dose

4 doses at any age, but...
3 doses meet the requirement for ages 7-17 if at least one was given on or after the 2nd birthday.

Hepatitis B
3 doses

 2 doses; or physician-documented varicella (chickenpox) disease history.

 Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR)
2 doses

The law allows (a) parents/guardians to choose an exemption from immunization requirements based on their personal beliefs, and (b) physicians of children to elect medical exemptions. The law does not allow parents/guardians to elect an exemption simply because of inconvenience (a record is lost or incomplete and it is too much trouble to go to a physician or clinic to correct the problem). An official RI affidavit must be signed by parents/guardians electing the personal beliefs exemption. For children with medical exemptions, the physician’s written statement should be stapled to the RI exemption form. Schools should maintain an up-to-date list of pupils with exemptions, so they can be excluded quickly if an outbreak occurs.

Sports Physicals
In accordance with state regulations NHS students trying out for an athletic team are required to have an annual physical. Students must provide written documentation on the school physical form of the results of a physical exam performed by a licensed health care provider and dated within the year for which that sport is being performed prior to being able to participate.  See the "Sports Pre Participation Form"

Information for parents on MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus)
In the last several years, our community has experienced an increase in the number of staph infections that are resistant to the usual antibiotics used to treat skin and soft tissue infections. These infections are caused by MRSA, or antibiotic resistant staph. MRSA traditionally has been a germ associated with hospitals but now is appearing in the community and is often called "community-acquired MRSA". Community- acquired MRSA appears to be particularly good at causing skin infections, especially through contact among family members, in daycare centers, among sports teams, and in prisons or jails. Of note, outbreaks of MRSA have NOT been widely reported among schoolchildren with primarily classroom contact.