- Soccer originated in England in the mid 1800's. It was mainly played by the higher English classes in boarding schools and private clubs that they belonged to. The inexpense of soccer abruptly changed ahead as a sport for the other classes.
- Today soccer is ranked as one of the world's leading sports.
- In 1900, the first soccer game was played at the Olympics, with medals introduced just eight years later.
- In 1904, The Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA), was formed, followed by the first World Cup international competition in 1930. A round-robin style tournament that pits teams from individual nations against each other every four years, the World Cup has grown into an international affair, with nearly 200 teams now seeking admittance. Only 24 are permitted to compete. (Some tourdaments today are still called "Round- Robin's".)
- The USSF (United States Soccer Federation) was formed in 1913.
- In England, soccer, is called football.
- Most Americans today would rather perfer to watch American Football over soccer.
- The MLS (Major League Soccer) was formed in 1993 in the United States, and began its first season in 1996 with 10 teams and 32 regular season games.
- In 1991, women were finally allowed to play on a professional level.
- Some of the most well known soccer players are Maradonna, Cech, Dalglish, Beckham, Pele, Mattheus, Ronaldo, Charlton and Cruyff.