Narragansett, Rhode Island
Before the year 1901, Narragansett was a part of South Kingstown, Rhode Island. Roland Robinson settled in South County in 1675 and purchased land from the Narragansett Indians Pettaquamscutt and Pt. Judith. This marked the beginning of the history of Narragansett, Rhode Island. In the early 1700's, and continuing on for more than 100 years later, South Ferry was fast-moving community. Here, there were ferry services to Jamestown and Newport.
Between 1888 and 1920, Narragansett was known as an elegant summer resort with a dozen more grand hotels and many large estates and cottages. The most prominent landmark was the Narragansett Casino, which at the time, was attached to the Narragansett Towers.
The Narragansett Towers have been a lasting, important landmark in Narragansett, Rhode Island for many years. It was built between 1883 and 1886 and is still standing and in use today. The towers and the casino that was attached to it at the time were an example of Victorian Shingle Style architecture.
During the "Great Fire" of September 12, 1900, a fire broke out in the neighboring Rockingham Hotel. These flames spread quickly to the casino, and only the brick walls of the Towers were left standing.
Today, the Towers hold many different occasions such as weddings, dances, dinners, fashion shows, and much more.
January 20, 2010 8:20 AM