Some interesting, useless facts about skiing for your entertainment:
- Skiing was introduced in the late stages of the Stone Age, and was used as a form of transportation
- The first skiers were cross country skiers, using only thin leather straps for bindings
- The oldest pair of skis were found in Russia, dating back to 6300 B.C.E.
- Ski poles came from the walking sticks people used while snowshoeing
- The term “ski” originated in Finland from the word suski
- Rock paintings of skiers were found in Russia from around 3000 B.C.E., proves that skiing did exist then
- Skiing was a betting game among Vikings
- Roller Skiing was invented in 1600 A.D.
- Toe and heel bindings were introduced 1667
- Telemark skis introduced in 1800 for faster transportation
- 1841- First reported skier in the USA, just a little behind the rest of the world…
- 1866- First ski school (Norway)
- 2002- Olympic Winter Games in Salt Lake City, Utah