The swimmer shall swim the prescribed distance in the following
order: the first one-fourth, butterfly; the second one-fourth, backstroke; the third one-fourth,
breaststroke; and the last one-fourth, freestyle.
1. Start — The forward start shall be used.
2. Stroke — The stroke for each one-fourth of the designated distance shall follow the prescribed
rules for that stroke.
A Intermediate turns within each stroke shall conform to the turn rules for that stroke.
B The turns when changing from one stroke to another shall conform to the finish rules
for the stroke just completed, and shall be as follows:
(1) Butterfly to Backstroke — The swimmer must touch as described in 101.3.5.
Once a legal touch has been made, the swimmer may turn in any manner, but the
shoulders must be at or past the vertical toward the back when the swimmer
leaves the wall.
(2) Backstroke to Breaststroke — The swimmer must touch the wall while on the
back. Once a legal touch has been made, the swimmer may turn in any manner
but the shoulders must be at or past the vertical toward the breast when the
swimmer leaves the wall and the prescribed breaststroke form must be attained
prior to the first arm stroke.
(3) Breaststroke to Freestyle — The swimmer must touch as described in 101.2.4.
Once a legal touch has been made, the swimmer may turn in any manner.
4. Finish — The swimmer shall have finished the race when any part of his/her person touches
the wall after the prescribed distance.