Bacteria Chapter Study Guide
STRUCTURE AND ORGANIZATION
1. Overview the differences between prokaryotes and eukaryotes.
2. Describe and diagram the ways in which bacteria can be shaped and grouped.
3. Diagram the parts of a basic bacterium.
4. Outline the differences between fimbriae, pili, and capsules.
5. State how the structure of an endospore relates to its function.
**Do not study specific group characteristics
6. Diagram and describe the difference between transformation and transduction, and conjugation.
7. How do bacteria respire?
8. What is bacteria’s role in the nitrogen cycle
9. Describe how bacteria’s role as a decomposer is so vital to health in a specific ecosystem.
10. Overview the different relationships in which bacteria act as symbionts.
11. What are the key differences between organisms in the domain Bacteria compared to Archaea?
12. In which unique environments do Achaeans thrive, and to what adaptive differences do they owe this success?