II. Administration (formerly #1331)
D. School Facilities
1. Use of Buildings by Non-School Based Organizations
It is the policy of the Narragansett School Committee to make school facilities available for use by the public when such use does not interfere with school-related activities. The Superintendent of Schools, or his/her designee, is authorized to permit the use of school facilities under the following conditions:
I. Eligible Users
A. School employee groups
B. Federal, state, municipal agencies
C. Responsible, non-school organizations, associations, or individuals
D. School-related agencies
E. The objectives of user groups should be related to civic, cultural, recreational or public welfare activities and be in concert with the objectives of the school district and state/national governments.
F. Religious organizations may use school facilities on the same basis as other user groups, except that the use of facilities for direct religious purposes will be subject to the established fee schedule.
II. Standard Operating Procedure
A. Requests for the use of facilities will be made on a form provided by the Office of the Superintendent.
1. Forms may be requested from the Office of the Superintendent or from the office of any building principal.
2. Requests for facility use are to be filed via the office of the principal of the building facility to be used.
3. Building principals will note schedule conflicts and/or operational concerns prior to forwarding a request to the superintendent.
4. The superintendent or his/her designee will approve/deny the request.
B. The person or organization using school property, including school fields, will be responsible for providing proof, upon request, that they have permission to use the facilities.
C. Use of facilities will not be permitted to interfere with school activities even when such activities may be scheduled after a facilities use application has been approved.
D. Facility usage by any outside group (except the Town of Narragansett Recreation Department) on Saturday or Sunday will require a custodian to be hired.
E. Facility usage will not be granted for admission charge programs unless such programs are held for the purpose of benefiting the educational, civic, or charitable interests of the citizens of the Town of Narragansett.
F. The person or organization using school property shall be responsible for the behavior and discipline of persons using or attending a function and shall furnish, at their own expense, police and/or fire protection and parking supervision as the superintendent/building principal shall direct. The cost and direct payment for police and firefighter will be the responsibility of the renting or user agency.
G. The person or organization using school facilities shall protect school property from abuse and shall be responsible for the cost of additional cleaning and/or the repair of any damage occurring to school property in connection with, or in consequence of, facility use. Damage may result in denial of future facility use. User groups will agree to save and hold harmless the school district from any claim arising from personal injury or property claim suffered or incurred in connection with the use of school facilities.
H. Decorations, electrical fixtures, electrical equipment, or changes in electrical wiring are not permitted unless authorized by the superintendent/building principal after an inspection by the fire department.
I. Smoking is prohibited in school buildings and on school grounds. The person or organization using school buildings will enforce this rule.
J. Alcoholic beverages or illegal substances are not permitted in any part of the school building or on school grounds.
K. Food/drink is not permitted in district school libraries, gymnasiums and auditoriums.
L. The superintendent/building principal shall determine the need for a representative(s) of the district to be in attendance during a facility use.
1. Services of custodians beyond normal shift hours and/or to perform services that are not job assignment related, will result in a charge to users equal to the cost of the head custodian for payment to a custodian by the district. If the determination is made by the building administrator that a custodian is not required, the user group shall be responsible for cleaning the area used.
2. All custodial charges must be paid before the scheduled date of usage.
3. Use of cafeteria kitchen areas requires the services of a cafeteria worker. Payment for this service is to be made directly to the food service company.
M. Authorized representatives of the district will have access to facilities in use.
N. Organizations approved to use auditoriums/cafetoriums and gymnasiums will be responsible for the provision of security, supervisory and support personnel in addition to the school department assigned custodian.
O. The School District, at its discretion, may require the following safety personnel to be assigned based upon the nature of the event :
Per 100 occupants: 1 police officer or at discretion of the local police department.
Custodians will be assigned at the discretion of the Administration.
Damage deposits may be required at the discretion of the Superintendent.
Per every 150 occupants: 1 firefighter or at discretion of the local fire department to be assigned by the chief.
The eligible user shall be responsible for payment of safety personnel directly to the police or fire department.
III. Exempted Organizations
A. Narragansett based non-profit groups whose express purpose for using the facilities does not include generation of revenue for the direct benefit of the group and whose activity benefits Narragansett residents are exempted from the facility rental fee. These Include:
1. All school-related student activities.
2. Narragansett-based, non-profit youth organizations such as Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Brownies, etc.
3. Narragansett youth or adult activities sponsored directly by Narragansett School District or Town Recreation Department, such as athletic groups, the arts, civic groups, etc.
4. Narragansett parent-teacher organizations.
5. Narragansett municipal agencies.
6. Employee group activities.
7. Narragansett based non-profit groups whose express purpose for using the facilities does not include generation of revenue for the direct benefit of the group and whose activity benefits Narragansett residents.
B. Rental Fee Structure
Gymnasiums (including locker rooms) $125.00
Multipurpose rooms $60.00
Cafeteria and kitchen* $150.00
All kitchen usage requires the services of a person approved by Narragansett Schools food service provider.
Athletic fields $75.00
Surcharge for auditorium theatre lighting and public address system $50.00**
All auditorium theatre lighting and public address system usage requires the services of a person approved by the building audio visual coordinator or building principal.
C. Long-Term Use
An organization that commits to long-term rental, consisting of five (5) days per week for the school year will be charged 5% of rental fees. All other charges apply.
§ An organization that commits to at least a two week rental will be charged at a rate equal to 50% of the normal fees. All other charges apply.
An organization that commits to long-term rental, consisting of no less than once per month for the school year, will be charged 25% of rental fees. All other charges apply.
Rental fees and other charges shall be paid by check/money order made payable to the Town of Narragansett School System.
Amended: July 7, 1980
Revised: August 22, 1990
1st Reading: May 17, 2006
Approved: June 21, 2006 Narragansett School System
Revised: July 19, 2006 Narragansett, Rhode Island