†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Formerly #5113



††††††††††† A.Administrative Policies


1.      Studentsí Residence for School Purposes


I.††††††††† Statement of Residency


A child shall be entitled to enroll in the Narragansett Public Schools if he or she resides in the Town of Narragansett.A child shall be deemed to be a resident of the Town of Narragansett if his or her parents reside in the Town of Narragansett. (Appendix A Form)If the childís parents live separate and apart, the child shall be deemed to be a resident of the town or locality in which the parent having actual custody of the child resides.If a child has no living parents, has been abandoned by his or her parents, or when parents are unable to care for their child, the child shall be deemed to be a resident of the Town of Narragansett if the child lives with his or her legal guardian, natural guardian, or other person acting in loco parentis in such situations, be it another family member or a non-relative, need not be the childís legal guardian.As long as a studentís residence separate and apart from his or her parents is for some substantial reason other than for the purpose of school attendance, the student is entitled to attend public schools in the town of Narragansett.An emancipated minor shall be deemed to be a resident of the Town of Narragansett if he or she actually lives in the Town of Narragansett (Appendix C Form).


If a student meets the criteria for a child in transition (one who lacks a fixed, regular and adequate night-time residence as defined in Policy V.A.1.a.), the student must be allowed to enroll without delay while the particular circumstances are investigated.


The appointment of a guardian for a child shall not operate to change said childís residence unless (1) the child takes up residence with the guardian within the Town of Narragansett, and (2) the guardian has been appointed for a substantial reason other than to change the childís residence for the purpose of enrolling the child in the Narragansett Schools.


II.††††††† Burden of Proof


Narragansett officials may request information to verify the reason for the childís living separate and apart from his or her parents.If the school believes that the reason for the child living with the non-parent is simply to access a preferred school system, the parties may request a hearing to determine the school residency of the child and an expedited hearing and decision will be provided. (Appendix B Form)If the child is already attending school, school officials may not unilaterally disenroll the child.Notice to the adult acting in loco parentis, as well as to the parents(s) if they are known, that the district is requesting a residency hearing before the Commissioner or his designee has begun.


Parent/guardian of the resident student or an emancipated minor shall prove that they actually live in the Town of Narragansett.Such proof can be a rental agreement, mortgage agreement, or other documentary proof.


If it is alleged that a childís residence has been changed due to illness of a parent, the break-up of the childís family, abandonment of the child by his or her parents, death of the childís parents, or emancipation of the child, the person alleging such circumstances shall bear the burden of proof.


III.†††††† Completion of Semester of School Year


Should a Narragansett student leave the Town during the course of a school semester, he or she shall be entitled to complete that semester in the Narragansett Schools (R. I.G.L. 16-64-8).If the student is a senior or about to enter his or her senior year, he or she shall be entitled to complete the senior year.Other than this one exception, a student shall only be entitled to complete the one semester. Parents have the responsibility to provide their children with transportation to and from school in these cases.

In the event that a student should exercise his or her right to continue to attend the Narragansett Public School consistent with this policy, his or her parents shall assume all responsibility for that studentís transportation.


IV.†††††† Tuition


The School Committee shall establish a standard basic tuition rate annually for any non-resident student to attend the Narragansett School System.The rate may vary for attendance at the elementary, middle, or high school and will be based upon the per capita costs at each school in the preceding year.The standard basic rate does not take into account any additional costs that may be incurred for Special Education services, which will be added to the standard basic rate and payment for these services will also become the responsibility of parents/guardians of non-resident students.In the event that a student erroneously claims residence in the Town of Narragansett, the childís parents/ guardians shall be liable for tuition.In this case, student records and transcripts shall be withheld until compensation has been recovered.


V.††††††† Discretionary Admission of Non-Resident Students


If a student is not entitled to enrollment in the Narragansett Public School, a petition may be filed with the Superintendent requesting his or her enrollment in the school.Granting of such a petition is purely discretionary and shall be based on such considerations as availability of space, the childís special needs, and/or any other reasons.


Enrollment of a student pursuant to this section shall be made contingent upon his or her parents or guardian signing a contract guaranteeing the payment of tuition and/or any and all other expenses associated with the education of that student and the payment in advance for each semester it is anticipated that the student will be enrolled in the Narragansett Schools.


The process for the Superintendentís review of requests for non-resident student attendance will involve but may not be limited to the following:

  1. Completion of a preliminary information request and agreement entitled ďNon-Resident Request for Student AttendanceĒ (Appendix D Form).
  2. Receipt of a request in writing from parent(s)/guardian(s) stating reason(s) for placement in Narragansett.
  3. Evaluation of space available in the applicable school and grade which would involve discussion with principal and guidance personnel as appropriate.
  4. Interview with parents.
  5. If the Superintendent approves the request, recommendation will be made to the School Committee to accept the non-resident student on a tuition basis for the year requested, or any portion thereof.
  6. Any request, if approved, is effective for one school year only and a new request must be submitted for consideration for any additional year.


VI.†††††† Admission of Future Residents


Upon good and substantial proof that parent(s)/guardian(s) shall become residents of the Town of Narragansett during the next school semester, a student may be enrolled in the Narragansett Schools, at the recommendation of the Superintendent.Should the student not become a resident as represented in writing to the Superintendent during that semester, the Superintendent shall have the right to recover tuition for that child during that period from his or her parent(s) or guardian(s).Prior to a studentís admission pursuant to this Article, the parent(s)/guardian(s) of the child and the Superintendent shall sign an agreement authorizing recovery of tuition.


VII.†††† Transportation.Transportation for individual non-resident students will not be provided.


VIII.††† Students in Transition (Homeless)


Please refer to Policy V.A.1.a. Registration of Students in Transition (Homeless) for specific information related to homeless students.

1st Reading:††† January 15, 1997

Adopted:†††††††† February 12, 1997


††††††††††† 1st Reading:June 21, 2006

††††††††††† Approved:July 19, 2006


††††††††††† 1st Reading:April 9, 2008

††††††††††† Approved:May 21, 2008


††††††††††† 1st Reading:April 14, 2010

††††††††††† 2nd Reading:May 19, 2010††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Narragansett School System

††††††††††† 3rd Reading:June 16, 2010††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Narragansett, Rhode Island



Policy V.A.1.Residency Policy†††† Appendix A.






††††††††††† I hereby certify that I am the parent/legal guardian of ______________________ who resides with me at ______________________________Narragansett, RI.Furthermore, I hereby agree that I will be responsible to notify the Superintendent of Schools of the Narragansett School System should I, or my child/ward changes our residence to an address outside the Town of Narragansett.

††††††††††† I also realize that in order to attend the Narragansett School System it is necessary that my child/ward be a resident of the Town of Narragansett. Accordingly, I hereby agree to be responsible for reasonable tuition for my child/ward should his/her residence change to outside the Town of Narragansett.

††††††††††† This responsibility shall run from the date of child/ward change of address until the date upon which the Superintendent of Schools is notified of such change of address.




__________________________________________††††††††††† †††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††

†††† Parent/Legal Guardian Signature†††††††††††††††††††††††††† ††††††††††† Date

†††† (Certificate of Residency)

††† (Signed under the pains and penalty of perjury)


Policy V.A.1.Residency Policy††Appendix B.


Narragansett School System




Dear ___________________:


This office has determined that †††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† is not a resident of the town/city of Narragansett, Rhode Island for school purposes.The reason for non-resident status is:


††††††† The student does not physically reside in the district.

††††††† The student lives in the district, but not with a parent, and the reason for living apart from the parent(s) is not for a substantial reason other than to attend this districtís school.

††††††† The student has not shown that he/she is an emancipated minor.

††††††† Exceptions to school residency under Rhode Island General Law 16-64-8 do not apply.*

††††††† A legal guardian was appointed for no substantial reason other than to change his/her school residence.




         If you disagree with this determination of school residency, you may appeal this decision directly to the Commissioner of Elementary and Secondary Education.Written appeals, signed by a parent or guardian of the student, may be submitted to:


Commissioner Deborah A. Gist

R.I. Department of

Elementary & Secondary Education

255 Westminster Street

Providence RI 02903

Fax # 401-222-6178




         If the student is enrolled and attending school at the time of the districtís determination of non-residency, and the parent or guardian disagrees with the districtís determination of school residency, the student should remain enrolled until an expedited hearing can be held at the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.


††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† †† or††† ††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††

†††††††††††††††††††††††† Principal†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† †††††††††††††††††††† Attendance Officer



* R.I.G.L. 16-64-8 permits a student who changes his or her residence during the course of a semester to complete the semester in his/her original school district.This law also permits a student to complete his or her senior year in his/her original school district if he/she changes residence after completion of his/her junior year.

Policy V.A.1.Residency Policy††† Appendix C.






Studentís Residence for School Purposes


A child is entitled to enroll in the Narragansett Public Schools even when not residing with their parents in the following cases:the child has no living parents, has been abandoned by his or her parents, or when parents are unable to care for their child.As long as a studentís residence separate and apart from his or her parents is for some substantial reason other than for the purpose of school attendance, the child is entitled to enroll.The adult who is caring for the child must provide documentation which indicates that substantial reason and the Superintendent of Schools will review and approve or deny the registration.


The following is acceptable for this verification:


  1. Legal documentation of guardianship or court placement.
  2. A letter from the parent indicating that the child is living with another adult.This letter should state the facts of the living arrangement.It should give some indication of the substantial need for this arrangement.
  3. If a letter from the parent cannot be obtained, the adult registering the child can submit a letter outlining the substantial reason(s) for this arrangement.



As part of the registration process, this documentation must be provided to the Superintendent.



Name of Student††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††


Name of Adult††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††


I submit the attached as explanation of the substantial reasons I am caring for the child aforenamed.


Superintendent Verification:I have reviewed the attached and approve/deny the registration of the above named student.



Superintendent of Schools††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Date

Policy V.A.1.Residency Policy††† Appendix D.


Narragansett School System


Non-Resident Request for Student Attendance


To be completed by Parents/Guardians:


Parent/Guardian Name(s):†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††


Childís Name:††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††

Date of Birth: †††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Grade Level:††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††

Anticipated Start Date:††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††

Reason for Request:(please attach a written statement).


We hereby agree to pay tuition in the amount of ††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† for the studentís attendance at Narragansett †††††††††††††††††††††††††† School for the †††††††††††††††††††††† school year.Any failure to make payment as requested prior to commencement of the semester will result in the immediate withdrawal of the student from the Narragansett School System.




††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† ††††††††††††††††††††††† †††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††

Parent/Guardian Signature††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Date



To be completed by Superintendent:


I have reviewed the intent of the above parents/guardians and am forwarding it to the School Committee for approval/denial








††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† ††††††††††† †††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††

Superintendent of Schools††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Date


School Committee Action

††††††††††† Approved

††††††††††† Approved with Conditions:††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† †††††††††††

††††††††††† Denied